Our parish is steeped in history with the Romans, Picts, Scots, Saxons, Vikings and Normans all leaving their mark.
The Parish Church of ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, Newburn is in the centre of the
village, just above the library. (NE15 8LT) The building stands in its commanding position on the north side of the Tyne Valley overlooking the village of Newburn.
It was restored following a fire in 2006 which caused £2.6million in damage. The building consists of a four bay nave with transepts and aisles, a west tower, a south porch, an unaisled chancel with a vestry and organ chamber to the north.
Before this present building, there was a wooden church on the site, which was burnt down in 1067 AD. (So we are not very good with fires!) Around this time a man, Copsi, an appointee of the Norman Ruler William I, was found murdered near the church door. He was hated by the local lords, whom he had displaced.
From the start of the second millennium with the murder of Copsi, there have been battles between the Scottish and the English which have frequently bathed the parish in blood. There was a plague of Cholera in the village in 1832 in which 66 of the 550 population died, including the vicar, The Reverend James Edmonson, and the village doctor.
The church of ST MARY THE VIRGIN was built in 1886-1887 and stands near the
roundabout on the main road through Throckley. (NE15 9AB)
Before St Mary's was built the congregation at Throckley met in a mission room. The November 1886 parish magazine stated that 'the mission room is now always so inconveniently crowded, that we are beginning to watch with eager eyes the rising of the comely church near at hand into which this earnest and devoted congregation hope soon to move, and we trust that will be the means to gather round it a larger body of worshippers all bound together with strong cords of Christian love and sympathy.'
The church was consecrated on Ascension Day, Thursday 19th May 1887. The petition to consecrate the church was presented to the Bishop of Newcastle, the Rt. Rev. Ernest Roland Wilberforce, by Mr John Spencer, and he was preceded up the aisle by the choir singing Psalm 24.